Sunday, May 2, 2010

Merlefest 2010 - Saturday

Saturday at Merlefest was hot all day and then nice and warm in the evening.  The music was superb, the crowd huge, the lines in the food tent manageable, and the vibe warm and friendly.  Lots of pictures and little commentary, but I'll have plenty to say in the weeks to come.


Entertainment at the Gate

Red Molly at the Americana State
Audience at Americana

The Kruger Brothers at Watson Stage
  Little Picker's Stage

A Little Pickers Band


Great Big Sea
Murray Foster

Alan Doyle

Bob Hallett


Kruger Brothers at Creekside

Joel Landsburg

Jens Kruger









The Snyder Family at the Plaza Stage
Samantha

Zeb

Owen and Laine
Tut Taylor Dobro Workshop

Pete Wernick's Flexigrass Jam
Pete and Jody Stecher

Jeb Puryear and Tara Nevins (Donna the Buffalo)
Jason Carter

Ron McCoury

Missy Raines

Mike Witcher

Jody Stecher

Pete Wernick

Mando Mania

Ethan Ballinger (Missy Raines & the New Hip)

Jason Norris (Bearfoot)

Rebecca Lovell

Tony Williamson

Sam Bush

Mike Compton

Dominic Leslie (Missy Raines & The New Hip)

The People's Mandolin Starts in the Right Hands

 Carol Young (Greencards) and Fan

Tut Taylor with the People's Mandolin

Tony Rice Signing His Biography 
by
Tim Stafford and Carolyn Wright

Docabilly Set

Doc Watson

Doc Watson Receives Honorary Doctorate
from
Berklee College of Music

Steve Martin & The Steep Canyon Rangers

Steve Martin

Woody Platt

Mike Guggino

Nicky Sanders

Graham Sharp

Charles Humphrey III

Steve Martin

Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes

Stuart Duncan and Jerry Douglas

Mike Compton

Jim Lauderdale



Saturday's lineup was interesting and varied.  We're headed back to hear more music today with pics tomorrow and extended commentary in the near future.  Hope you enjoyed this and I look forward to reading your comments.

16 comments:

  1. Rob McCoury with a mando?
    MS the spelling impaired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction (you're number 3 for this post). I really appreciate the close attention my "Editorial Board" pays to my blog and your input into making it a better piece of work. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, the Great Big Sea Photos are (in order)
    Murray Foster
    Alan Doyle
    Bob Hallett

    Thanks for these photos!

    t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, thanks so much for the corrections. I often must rely on web sites to get crucial information. When the web site is inadequate, it makes it more difficult for me to identify band members. Changes in band personnel also often cause confusion. In the end, my readers make the difference. I hope you've caught them all now. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos Ted, and great seeing you at Merlefest. One add is that Dominick Leslie is also a member of the New Hip- along with Ethan. Hey, 2 mandolin players are better than one! Missy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy - Thanks for the correction. Welcome to my Editorial Board. It puts a huge responsibility on you, but it sure helps me out. Hope to see you soon, and it was a delight to meet Ben. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ted
    Hope to see you at Bluegrass on the Waccamaw! Do you have contact information for Mike Mumford? I think you said he set up your banjo?

    Steve Treadaway
    tread@sccoast.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to hear from you Steve. Mike Munford didn't set up my banjo and I don't have the info. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ted,

    Great to meet you and Irene at Jam Camp. From the time I arrived and started Jamming on Sunday night, she took me under her wing, and I was very appreciative of that. I'll make sure next year that I wear my Phils hat more!

    Did you get a chance to post the Jam Camp pictures into a photo album?

    Hope to see you again next year!

    John Pio

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ted
    Do you have any contact information for Mike Mumford? I'm going up north and want to set up an appointment.

    Steve Treadaway

    ReplyDelete
  11. John - Thanks so much for your comment about Irene. I should get to posting a major blog entry about Jam Camp in a week or so, as soon as I'm finished with Merlefest coverage. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really enjoy your pictures and can't wait to see more!!! Thanks, Molly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Granite GrassFanMay 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM

    Fellow NHer offers correction to Otherwise Fantastic Blogposts:
    Taa Nevins and Jeb Puryear from Donna the Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures Ted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Granite...all I had to go on was Pete Wernick's pronunciation, and I sure got it wrong. Appreciate your taking the time. - ted

    ReplyDelete
  16. That would be Tara Nevins!

    ReplyDelete