Friday, April 29, 2011

Merlefest 2011 - Thursday


Ready to Go

Merlefest is a large, complex event with much going on all at the same time on fourteen sound stages.  Our coverage reflects our taste and the amount of the festival we can photograph and report on without decreasing the value of our own experience.  During the next few days, I'll be posting pictures with very little commentary.  Next week I'll try to draw it all together with some thoughts on this year's Merlefest and our experience there. Meanwhile, enjoy the photos, which represent a capsule of the entirety, which no one can really capture.

Wilkes Acoustic Folk Society - Wednesday Evening

Waiting for the Gates to Open

Corb Lund - Canadian Alt. Country - Opening Band

Corb Lund

Johnson Crossroad on the Cabin Stage




Martin Anderson - WNCW- FM - Emcee
 
Town Mountain from Asheville, NC

Robert Greer - Town Mountain Lead Singer

Pete Wernick's Jam Camp
The Staff Performs

Campers Wait to Go "ON"

Jam Camp Performing

Irene

Scythian 







Hannah & Nancy Crowell Dance to Scythian

Bill Young Tribute

The R&R Tent

 In the Food Tent







The Del McCoury Band

Jason Carter

Ron McCoury & Del McCoury

Rob McCoury
  
Ron McCoury
  
Alan Bartram

The Great Del McCoury
 

Balsam Range 

Buddy Melton & Caleb Smith
  
Tim Surrett

Cindy Baucom - Emcee
Knee Deep in Bluegrass - Syndicated Radio

Terry Baucom - The Duke of Drive



Randy Travis
 

 Wailin' Jennies



Zac Brown


6 comments:

  1. thanks...love seeing merlefest

    http://stickscene.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot of Randy Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Ted. I enjoyed Randy on Thursday night. It was singing along to all those old songs with my wife that made me realize that I was getting old. I caught Album Hour and the Snyder Family today before my 2 year old fell asleep. I hate I had to leave before seeing Sam Bush, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always the best MerleFest coverage on the Net Ted.

    Dr. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pix of the McCoureys and Zack Brown! Hate I missed that day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted,
    As usual, your reviews and coverage are wonderful. I was planning to email you Wednesday night and try to arrange to meet you face-to-face. This would have been my 22nd consecutive Merlefest. Unfortunately, Mother Nature intervened with lots of tornadoes in our neck of the woods. Instead of driving to Merlefest on Thursday, I wa arranging to get the tree off of my house. Maybe next year we'll have the opportunity to meet. I st not far from you, in Row 23, seats 7 and 8, over toward the Cabin Stage.

    Thanks for your reviews.

    Bob Mead

    ReplyDelete