Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's “New”? - Essay

The essay below is a lightly edited version of my Welcome Page essay published yesterday on the CBA website. As always, I look forward to your comments here, in the forums, and on the mailing lists.


How do we respond to “newness” in our lives? Are you one of those people who jumps at a new idea, adopting the product, trend, or idea right away because you find it intriguing or exciting? Or are you one of those people whose reflexive response to a new idea or a change is to resist and reject? Or are you, like the vast majority of us, a person who waits a while, weighs the pros and cons of a new idea and then tries to make a reasoned decision trending towards some sort of change? Winifred Gallagher, whose latest book New: Understanding Our Need for Novelty and Change I reviewed on my blog on January 2, calls these postures toward what is seen as being new "Neophilia" and "Neophobia." She argues that as a species our lives have always relied on seeking out new solutions to problems and opportunities that confront us. While not focused on music in any way, New still contains important implications for the current uproar in bluegrass music about the role of change in our music as we struggle with the forces of innovation and reaction.

According to Gallagher, the search for novelty, for something new, is built deep into our DNA. About half of our desire to embrace or resist change, to seek out something new, is genetic while the other half combines environmental and cultural elements affecting our decisions. The degree to which we seek out or resist the new in our lives may also be a reflection of age, as we tend to become less adventuresome as we age, clinging to what we know and love. Early humans, Gallagher says, when faced with danger or starvation might have had to decide whether to cross the river or not. Neophiles would unhesitatingly cross, while neophobes would exercise caution, often to their own detriment. One controlling factor is governed by the release of a neurotransmitter in our brains called dopamine which generates a sense of excitement or willingness to venture out.

Bill Monroe, as a young man, may well have been a true neophile, filled with a vision, a sense of the ways he could combine much of the popular and traditional music in his environment into a new form that combined speed, virtuoso instrumentation, and lovingly created or adopted lyrics. He gave new forms to old songs and wrote around eight hundred of his own during his lifetime. On hearing Earl Scruggs playing the banjo, he recognized an exciting, creative way of playing that he knew instinctively would fit into the concept he had and would help realize it for him. The result became known as bluegrass music, a variation on the country music of his day. It received immediate, and positive, responses from the audience at the Grand Old Opry when it was introduced in 1946. As he aged, Monroe became increasingly protective of his creation, and his music was saved as a popular form only by the advent of the folk revolution of the nineteen sixties. Today, a horde of young, creative neophilic musicians, also influenced by the music surrounding them in their world, are introducing both evolutionary and revolutionary changes into Monroe's music and becoming a part of what emerges as a great division within the bluegrass community. Meanwhile, a relatively small but loud neophobic portion of that community declares themselves to be the arbiters of tradition, clinging desperately to the music they claim honors Bill Monroe's vision.

The vast majority of bluegrass fans are still people in the middle, slowly but surely embracing changes that fit into their comfort zones and reflecting the changes in sensibility and awareness of the surrounding world. Of course, gradual change has always been a feature of bluegrass music. In their day, bands whose music is accepted as part of the bluegrass canon were seen as being revolutionary. The Osborne Brothers, Ralph and Carter Stanley, The Country Gentlemen, The Seldom Scene, Hot Rize, and many other groups brought new, evolutionary sounds, rhythms, and subject matter to bluegrass. Often, perhaps always, the music reflected traditional values of home, family, faith, and the simple life. It often created an image of life that existed more in wishing than in reality, since bluegrass emerged from a longing for home among people finding themselves working in the industrial centers ringing the Great Lakes.

Today, fueled by the extraordinary increase in the pace of change made possible in an age of instant communication and nearly universal access to bodies of knowledge never before so easily accessible, music, like much else in our world, is changing and evolving faster than many more cautious people can abide. Our once obscure niche within country music has become available to more people than its practitioners every imagined. YouTube makes bluegrass videos of hugely varying quality and differing sensibility available worldwide. Steve Martin, touring with the neo-traditional bluegrass band The Steep Canyon Rangers, has won a Grammy and is nominated for another in bluegrass. He has brought bluegrass music to the large late night audiences of Jay Leno and David Letterman. Alison Krauss, winner of more Grammys than any other female artist, was recently interviewed by Tavis Smiley on PBS, and by the New York Times. The finest classical cellist in the world, YoYo Ma, has released a bluegrass-influenced recording called “Goat Ranch” with bluegrass greats Stuart Duncan, Edgar Myer, and Chris Thile. Del McCoury, recently and appropriately installed as a member of the Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame, released a CD last year in collaboration with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, while the members of his band have recorded and toured with the Lee Boys, a black gospel steel band. Meanwhile, less famous bands (at least in bluegrass) like Yonder Mountain String Band, Mumford and Sons, as well as Bill Nershi and Drew Emmit experiment around the edges of bluegrass to the joy of thousands of their fans. But instead of welcoming these efforts, neophobic traditionalists resort to rejection, ridicule, and mockery.

The International Bluegrass Music Association, the only trade organization representing all elements of bluegrass music- musicians, music publishers, recording companies, instrument manufacturers and all the many other groups of professionals, semi-professionals, and fans - is currently seeking a new Executive Director much of whose job will involve finding ways to try to reconcile the various interests and tastes of constituencies vastly different in background, education, experience, and, increasingly, language and race. At the same time, bluegrass music has the potential to reach out to perhaps millions of new fans. These fans will be attracted for a variety of reasons, but will, almost inevitably, be exposed to the most traditional bluegrass music as well as all the possible variations which it will foster. No one can know today which of these many, often experimental, strands will last and which will fall by the wayside. Only history will sort that out, and young people discovering the music now will be party to the excitement that the next few generations will create. Sadly, our culture is also riven with a decline in the quality of discourse we engage in. I can only wish that, as the conversation continues, and it will continue, we can listen to each other, respond in thoughtful ways, and continue to grow in and with the music we love. Taste will always vary, and not everyone will like, or even willingly tolerate, all that emerges, but it is all music, and comes from the influence of bluegrass music. All we can do is listen, appreciate, and seek to understand while we look forward with interest and continue to honor and perform the traditional sources.

11 comments:

  1. Ted, I don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud but...I simply refer you to about 99% of the FM stations that call themselves country stations today. They have evolved into some kind of hybrid situation where country music now sound s like the soft rock that I remember from the seventies. The strongest elements of country music have simply vanished. Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy some of the young, fresh bluegrass bands out there. My fear is that the older, traditional style of bluegrass will be overwhelmed by the new sound. Bluegrass is all I have left after watching the utter destruction of traditional country music over the last decade or so. In the ideal world, the traditional will be allowed to thrive along with the new, but I fear that's not likely to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The result became known as bluegrass music, a variation on the country music of his day. It received immediate, and positive, responses from the audience at the Grand Old Opry when it was introduced in 1946."

    It was December 0f 1945! 1946 is not when Earl started with Monroe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted,

    Like Art, I thank you for your active role, research and thoughts on
    Bluegrass.

    While being a neophobic neophile myself, I do have a wide variety of
    musical genre in my daily player. I would like to think that Bluegrass
    has something unique about its sound. I have and do listen to the new
    style music many call Bluegrass. It strikes me odd that I can go out to
    watch "XYZ Bluegrass Band" and not hear any Bluegrass music. If a group
    plays acoustic fiddles, mandolins, guitars and bass, and, claim they are
    fans of Bluegrass are the only requirements to be considered a Bluegrass
    band then I need to revamp my belief of what Bluegrass music is.

    If Rob Zombie trades the drums and synthesizer for banjo and mandolin,
    has everyone play acoustic instruments and claimed Bill Monroe is a
    great influence on his music does he then get consideration for the next
    Bluegrass grammy?

    There are plenty of folks out there playing Bluegrass in the traditional
    style, many in between and a lot of string bands being considered
    Bluegrass. I like them all but grin when I hear string bands called
    Bluegrass bands simply because they play the same instruments and one or
    more of the band members may have played Bluegrass and consider
    Bluegrass an influence.

    Back to the consideration of "new" and Bluegrass. While you reference
    Drew Emmett, YMSB and others as being ridiculed and mocked by the
    "relatively small but loud neophobic". Is it possible that the neophobes
    are calling the new music what it is, not Bluegrass but string band
    music? I cannot speak for everyone's music tastes, but for me, I like
    these new style bands. I buy their music and go to their shows but do
    not consider them Bluegrass. As I write this response, listening to Bill
    Monroe - Heavy Traffic Ahead, I am reminded that Bill Monroe and the
    Bluegrass Boy's sound is secure. There are so many great bands that
    followed and continue today. I'm definitely not an arbiter on the issue
    but I am clingy and desperate at times. So, if there is such a thing as
    Bill Monroe's vision for Bluegrass, I hope it includes a thumbs up for
    the new styles and recognition of his own band's sound and how it is
    unique not simply for the instruments played.

    Now... where's my accordion? 8)
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noted guitarist (twice IBMA Guitar Player of the Year) Jim Hurst posted the following comment on the IBMA-Members mailing list. I thought it would be worth sharing here:

    OK folks, I'd like to chime in here, my first post since accepting the invite to join the new Google list (I had previously unsubscribed because of a few things, but maybe this is one), so I beg your patience, I ask that any and all opposing views be stated only as such, and I hope no one will ask me again to entertain the idea of finding a new career.

    As a musician/artist who loves Bluegrass (enough even to capitalize the genre name) and grew up listening to much of it, I have a couple perspectives/opinions that might help open some thoughts here. Two perspectives from the life of a struggling musician/artist

    As a musician first: I really don't care one bit about what any music is called, how to describe it or how to market it or sell it. I rarely listen to any popular music as it is commercialized and made for profit, not for any critical music furthering medium. I can't stand to listen to 'new country' or most of the main stream radio play music sources as it almost makes me sick to hear it. (I could go on an on about this, but wont for the list's sake). I didn't like, and grow to love, Bluegrass because it was popular then, or now. I came to love it because it means something, and the artists that have played it, and most that do play it now, do so because of the same reason. It is ART, not a commercial medium for related businesses to make a profit. Sure, everyone who plays Bluegrass wants to make money so as to pay their bills and living expenses, and most if not all would like to have health insurance and life insurance and maybe some sort of nest egg for retirement. But the musicians want to play music. The artists want to be heard. The MUSIC is the most important thing. I don't care about fame, but I know that it happens with the greats. I dislike when they start believing that they really are something more that they are, because they become harder to deal with, and I truly feel the musical art begins to falter in some if not most cases.
    part II follows:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part II of Jim Hurst's comments:

    As an artist (recording, touring, forward thinking, 'needing-to-be-successful' entity), I think a little differently, but not too much. Maybe that's why I am not as much of a recognized name as others, but I don't know. I don't want fame nor fortune. I want work, and I need a 'name' in order to get booked on stages around this country and elsewhere. I realize that sales and success in achieving what I want comes with some needs and requirements. I am not good at most of these. Why? Because I do it as a side to my craft as it is a perceived necessity. I understand that, just don't have the skill set to handle it, nor the time. A musical artist should be a performer of musical ART, not a product on the shelves, to me - a self-titled idealist, anyway. But there are obvious reasons why this is important. And that can get super ridiculous, such as coming up with a 3 word moniker of the music (which I think is now down to 2 words). Try that with any of the legends and see how hard it is.

    So, within that, I find myself questioning my time management needs and I don't know about all of you, but if I spend all my time trying to write descriptions and bios, and find bookings, and travel plans, and more... not to mention household and family needs, I run out of time for my craft. I hear it all the time from successful folks, and they have teams of folks doing exactly that.

    My point? Well, the ART of Bluegrass is why we are on this list. It is why we are members of IBMA. It is why there is Bluegrass to begin with. Mr. Monroe wanted the world to know his musical ART as did Flatt & Scruggs and New Grass Revival, et al. But having a bunch of thinkers to start changing the appearance or the opportunity of the appearance of this same musical art to make bloggers, critics, reviewers, businesses, and others of all kinds happy was not the idea.

    We can think it through and discuss all we want, but I ask you to consider one thing at every opportunity. Does it really matter to the art? Does taking the instrumental categories and acceptance speeches of the IBMA award show off the radio help the ART? Does putting the award show on TV help the ART? Or does it help the bottom line of many businesses? You betcha it does. Is that only a bad thing? No. But the ART of Bluegrass should ALWAYS be the measuring stick.

    Part III follows

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part III of Jim Hurst's comments:

    Sounds like an off-subject comment to some of you? It's not, but it begins to illuminate why I am posting. When we, the collective we, begin to micro-manage the ins and outs we lose musical artistic perspective. I find it funny that I have trouble getting any attention at Bluegrass festivals because I am not a Bluegrass band but other bands have been booked that are further away from Bluegrass than I. Yep, festivals and events need to make money, I get it... so do I. But don't tell me that I am not close enough to Bluegrass and then book a pop band.

    Whatever you want to call Bluegrass (or not), or what era is the most important era, or whether it was Monroe's invention or that Flatt & Scruggs saved it, I don't care... until you begin dividing the masses with rhetoric and banter that really doesn't help the ART.

    I echo Jerry Cherryholmes' comment to Kyle Cantrell (in loose quote here) "Bluegrass is in danger of becoming a caricature of itself", when responding to Kyle's question about their CD which was mostly if not all original material. I read - with disdain - a scathing review of Blue Highway's all original CD "Still Climbing Mountains", and the reviewer trounced it, and partly because it was 'all original'. Really? Wonder what Bill Monroe or Jimmy Martin, or Loretta Lynn, or Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton would say about that?

    How exactly does that help anyone? We have crazies all over the place (argumentatively I am one too), but the point is made.

    In closing, while I think it's good to discuss these things and I applaud all of you for taking the time to do just that, and for IBMA and Nancy Cardwell and others for providing this forum, I request one thing. "Do no harm".

    The idea is to further Bluegrass musical ART, not personal opinions and ulterior motives, not that any of that is being handled here. The listener wants what they want. Most of them are here because of the honesty and integrity of the ART of Bluegrass music, the rest are here because they hate what's happened to country music.

    Best to you all.
    Jim
    "I am happier than I've ever been!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks to you, Ted, for continuously encouraging discussion in our community of bluegrass music lovers. Bluegrass is a “muscians music” and the fact that jamming is one of the fans favorite past times simply shows that there is going to be constant creation, constant change, constant “new” sounds. So a question you could have posted would have been “Are you one of those people who constantly wants to play music, write music, or listen to music? Constantly (re)create?” The answer from most of your readers would have been yes. To an artist this is a well understood need- the urge to create is more than somewhat akin to the need for “new”- and aren’t all of the great bluegrass musicians artists?
    The idea of a need for “new” and the conflict that you see between neophiles and neophobes posits an interesting question about the way in which people enjoy and listen to bluegrass- as either a cultural and communal experience, or as an art form- as really good music. This idea of “new” music causing a “current uproar” is completely unavoidable because in the end bluegrass is music, music is art, and everyone has an aesthetic opinion. Luckily I have not been in company with the rejecting, mocking “neophobic traditionalists” you describe, but this tension that you write of often, undoubtedly stems from larger, more complex issues. I would assume the roots of this tension are far from the heart of creativity and bluegrass as music and the artists need to create something “new.” I would assume they lie in personal agendas and preferences.
    The genre you write about and your readers enjoy has developed in less than seventy years- change is not gradual in bluegrass; change is constant, a definitive of the genre. Even with this constant change, there are many wonderful groups “performing the traditional sources” as you pinned it, keeping the traditional sound safe from being dissolved. With so much change I understand your constant questions and research on the direction of bluegrass. That is a relevant concern and point of interest.
    But where I do differ in understanding with you, is in your statement, “…but it is all music, and comes from the influence of bluegrass music.” Some of the difficulty in understanding new sounds in the genre to many listeners is that the changes you hear are precisely NOT from the influence of bluegrass music. Yes, the changes must take place from within the genre by individuals who understand the domain of bluegrass music, but the changes that will “catch” are changes made by creative people; people who can combine domains (domain being the genre/style). Music does not arise out of one genre- the creation of bluegrass explains that. Music comes from a much deeper wellspring. Like all bluegrass legends, the younger and new performers are open to merging jazz, rock, gospel, even elements of hip hop, blues, singer songwriter, and punk sounds with the “high lonesome” sound that defines bluegrass’ boundaries. The conflict arises when people try to define those boundaries without understanding the depth of the creativity found in all genres.

    Hopefully discussions (like yours and the others held in barbershops, university lecture halls, and back porches across the country) will allow for not only a better understanding of change and resistance, but a deeper understanding of the community that surrounds our beloved genre. It is a shame that so much time is spent “struggling” in conflict over something as beautiful as music and as natural to the artistic process as innovation and reaction.
    Hope to see you around the festivals grounds this year,
    Jordan Laney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks to you, Ted, for continuously encouraging discussion in our community of bluegrass music lovers. Bluegrass is a “muscians music” and the fact that jamming is one of the fans favorite past times simply shows that there is going to be constant creation, constant change, constant “new” sounds. So a question you could have posted would have been “Are you one of those people who constantly wants to play music, write music, or listen to music? Constantly (re)create?” The answer from most of your readers would have been yes. To an artist this is a well understood need- the urge to create is more than somewhat akin to the need for “new”- and aren’t all of the great bluegrass musicians artists?
    The idea of a need for “new” and the conflict that you see between neophiles and neophobes posits an interesting question about the way in which people enjoy and listen to bluegrass- as either a cultural and communal experience, or as an art form- as really good music. This idea of “new” music causing a “current uproar” is completely unavoidable because in the end bluegrass is music, music is art, and everyone has an aesthetic opinion. Luckily I have not been in company with the rejecting, mocking “neophobic traditionalists” you describe, but this tension that you write of often, undoubtedly stems from larger, more complex issues. I would assume the roots of this tension are far from the heart of creativity and bluegrass as music and the artists need to create something “new.” I would assume they lie in personal agendas and preferences.
    The genre you write about and your readers enjoy has developed in less than seventy years- change is not gradual in bluegrass; change is constant, a definitive of the genre. Even with this constant change, there are many wonderful groups “performing the traditional sources” as you pinned it, keeping the traditional sound safe from being dissolved. With so much change I understand your constant questions and research on the direction of bluegrass. That is a relevant concern and point of interest.
    But where I do differ in understanding with you, is in your statement, “…but it is all music, and comes from the influence of bluegrass music.” Some of the difficulty in understanding new sounds in the genre to many listeners is that the changes you hear are precisely NOT from the influence of bluegrass music. Yes, the changes must take place from within the genre by individuals who understand the domain of bluegrass music, but the changes that will “catch” are changes made by creative people; people who can combine domains (domain being the genre/style). Music does not arise out of one genre- the creation of bluegrass explains that. Music comes from a much deeper wellspring. Like all bluegrass legends, the younger and new performers are open to merging jazz, rock, gospel, even elements of hip hop, blues, singer songwriter, and punk sounds with the “high lonesome” sound that defines bluegrass’ boundaries. The conflict arises when people try to define those boundaries without understanding the depth of the creativity found in all genres.

    Hopefully discussions (like yours and the others held in barbershops, university lecture halls, and back porches across the country) will allow for not only a better understanding of change and resistance, but a deeper understanding of the community that surrounds our beloved genre. It is a shame that so much time is spent “struggling” in conflict over something as beautiful as music and as natural to the artistic process as innovation and reaction.
    Hope to see you around the festivals grounds this year,
    Jordan Laney

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ted, I'm not a scholar person and probably produce poor grammar and spelling but here goes.This "What's New" essay you posted is simply great. I just came back to read it again,looked at the interesting comments and printed a copy. At 81 years old I can say I've been thru the pre Bluegrass period starting in the early 1940s listing to hillbilly, mountain music and early "honky tonk" country music coming way up here in Northern New England via Southern radio stations like WWVA, WCKY, WBT, etc. I liked it all and when I heard Bill Monroe in 1947 on WSM it blew me away and infected me immediately. I continued being infected by Stanley Brother and others utilizing the 5st. banjo in thier recordings. Alton and I as a vocal duo with guitar and mandolin on radio in the late 1940s & early 50s (now considered the first interracial preBluegrass act) played many of the early music we heard and loved. But even then we listened to all kinds of music - blues, jazz, pop tunes - if we liked it and could play it and thought our listeners would like it - we added to our mix. Over the years I have sang and played on guitar and mandolin many different tunes and put out my recordings that have shown the different influences I've accepted. I have alienated some who said I abandon them and Bluegrass music but that is not true...I love Bluegrass music and continue to perform it. I also, continue to enjoy other acoustic music and try to keep an open mind so I can pick up new material and ideas for my shows. I think the dicussions are great but I do hope that as they say "the whole ball of wax" does not get to negative and that we can all come away from this period with a positive attitude and realize that everyone wishes to have fun and joy with Bluegrass music - even the professionals by making money at their trade. Keep smiling and play Bluegrass. Al Hawkes

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those who don't know him, Al Hawkes is a New England institution, a national treasure. He's been performing bluegrass for longer than many of us have lived, and he has one of the largest collections anywhere. Thanks so much for your comments, Al. You never need to apologize for your writing. It's your thinking that counts. - Ted

    ReplyDelete