Saturday, April 25, 2009

Merlefest 2009 - Friday

Friday was hot and sunny until dinner time, when a very unexpected thunder storm came through, lowering the temperature and putting a temporary halt to nearly everything. People milled around, but the sound board was at risk, so no music. It was a good thing we stayed, though, as Del McCoury came out a laid down a great set. As usual, Merlefest is all about making choices. What you see here represents the ones we make as we navigate the event. I'll post daily. If you're looking for an overview, I'll be writing more next week and posting Merlefest highlights for several weeks. There are way too many good pictures to allow me to post a lot of them just now.
Scythian at the Americana Stage

Circuit Riders at Cabin Stage

Darin and Brooke Aldridge with Circuit Riders

Kruger Brothers at Creekside

Jens Kruger

Uwe Kruger

Little Pickers Tent

Blues at Creekside
Patrick Sweaney

Roy Bookbinder - Host

Doug MacLeod

Jimmy "Duck" Holmes
Farewell Drifters

Zach Bevell

Mountain Heart at Creekside

Aaron Ramsey

Barry Abernathy

Jason Moore

Jim VanCleve

Josh Shilling

Clay Jones

The Grascal on the Watson Stage
Danny Roberts

Jamie Johnson & Terry Smith

Terry Smith

Terry Eldredge

Jeremy Abshire

Jamie Johnson

Kristin Scott Benson

Missy Raines and the New Hip at Austin Stage

Mike Witcher

Mountain Heart at Watson Stage
with Tony Rice

Tony Rice

Barry Abernathy

Clay Jones

Josh Shilling

Jim Van Cleve

Tony Rice

Brink Brinkman
Winner
Chris Austin Songwriting Contest - Gospel

Del McCoury Band at Watson Stage

Del McCoury

Jason Carter

Ronnie & Del

Rob McCoury

As I've been posting these pictures there's been so much I want to say, but I really haven't the time. Come back for extended commentary next week, meanwhile, keep coming for more pics.

5 comments:

  1. Harold & Sharon BessApril 25, 2009 at 11:24 AM

    Since we weren't able to go to Merlefest, the next best thing is your blog. Thanks for all the great pictures and articles (especially of Darin & Brooke). We look forward to reading your comments next week and hope to see you soon. Harold & Sharon Bess, Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Incredible pictures . . . not quite as good as being there, but the photos really tell the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ted, i see my picture is on your blog on Merlfest 2009. I'm the guy with the long white beard. The Blue shirt and Straw Hat. I'm Jerry Eicher from Delta Ohio. I came down to cover the festival for our Radio Show " The Ol' Hippie Bluegrass Hour" WQTE 95.3 FM out of Adrian Mi. I got 4 interviews and over 30 promos for our show. Had a great time! Looks like you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerry - Thanks for chiming in. I like to take pictures of unusual faces at festivals. Your just fit the bill. I hope you don't mind. If you're at MACC, stop me and say hello. I'll be the guy with the big camera. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ted...great pics and commentary.I'm gonna make it to Merlefest SOME day.

    ReplyDelete