Sunday, October 4, 2009

IBMA 2009 - The Plan

WOW!!!

IBMA was a great event. It opened with four days of a business conference.  Culmintaint in an awards luncheon and the evening's Awards ceremony.  Some expectations were met, and the membership selected a few delightful surprises.  There was a feeling of warmth and togetherness about much of the process.  On Friday, Fan Fest commenced with two and a half days of the best bluegrass music you could want to experience...bluegrass in all its many varieties.  As the week closed out with today's annual gospel show, people headed away with new skills and and enhanced conviction that, while the world is experiencing sometimes difficult to manage and understand change, and that change is reflected in our music, the future is well-assured.

During the next couple of weeks, I'll be posting pictures and commentary on this wonderful and fulfilling event as well accounts of our continuing adventure.  Thanks for you patience in waiting for it.  This morning we hit the hay at shortly after 3:00 AM and arose at  7:00 on time to get back to town.  Tomorrow morning I'll post my first account.  See you on the net. - Ted

3 comments:

  1. Could you provide your perspective on the Cadillac Sky performance? As much as I like Cadillac Sky, I walked away questioning whether they are pushing the envelope or commiting suicide. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irving - I regret to say that I didn't stay for their performance. From what I understand, their current style reaches out to new and younger audiences. I know and like the band and hope they'll find ways to bring new fans into bluegrass who will seek out the roots of their performances. We should strive for a big tent that welcomes new and risky performance and treasures traditional tried and true sounds. - ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted -- I looked for a way to send you a private message, however there was no option listed. I am the future webmaster and sister-in-law of Jesse Brock (he said he met you a few days ago) and had questions about use of your posted photos. If you could email me back at leah.riley@colorado.edu and delete the comment?

    Thanks,
    -Leah

    ReplyDelete