Monday, May 3, 2010

Merlefest 2010 - Sunday


The sun beat down mercilessly on the large and eager crowd at Merlefest on Sunday.  Sunday's lineup reflected an important turnaround in the demographic festival organizers are reaching out to by emphasizing youth and a rock oriented acoustic and electric vibe.  The crowd appeared to be, perhaps, thirty years younger, on average, than the Sunday audience of previous years.  They showed huge enthusiasm for Scythian as well as The Avett Brothers, staying long into the afternoon. We had that rarity of a Merlefest week...no rain and warm evening temperatures except on Thursday.  Great weather for a festival.

Scythian
This high energy group of classically trained men of Ukrainian extraction began their careers as buskers on the streets of Washington, D.C.  While you might begin by turning up your nose at that description, give it another listen.  They're rock tinged, personable, and extremely energetic.  Their audience was hugely enthusiastic, especially considering their 11:30 A.M. kick-off.

Alexander Fedoryka

Josef Crosby

Danylo Fedoryka

 Mike Ounallah

The Fedoryka Brothers







Dehlia Low
 
This Asheville-based band featuring two female singers whose voices blend well and whose song writing is solid made their Merlefest debut on the cabin stage.  They have one CD already out with more to come.  Keep an eye out for this mellow, soulful group.

Stacy Claude

Anya Hinkle

Bryan Clendenin
Aaron Ballance




The Lee Boys & The Travelin' McCourys
The Lee Boys and the Travelin' McCourys brings two bands from different traditions and cultures together in a rousing show of rock and blues based gospel music tinged with a plugged in bluegrass sensibility.  Besides providing an excellent example of how two genres can blend into a unique synthesis, the scheduled performances in support of their new CD could possibly open a willingness to consider the skills and pleasure of two important cultural traditions that don't ordinarily meet.

Cody Kilby

Derrick Lee

Alan Bartram

Alvin Cordy, Jr.

Ron McCoury

Roosevelt Collier
 
Rob McCoury

Earl Walker

Jason Carter

Alvin Lee

Red Molly, a New York based trio featuring strong instrumentals, even stronger vocal harmonies and a singer/songwriter sensibility with great harmonies made their Merlefest debut with lots of buzz heard around the campus.  I'll be covering them with more intensity at Strawberry Park early next month, and I posted a picture of them earlier in the week.

W.P.A
W.P.A. is a west coast band synthesized from members of other bands which played together a good deal, only to discover that they had written enough material to produce a CD.  Luke Bulla has toured with Jerry Douglas and Lyle Lovett.  Sean Watkins was an important cog in the great Nickle Creek, and Glen Phillips played with Toad and Wet Sprocket, a band I'm unfamiliar with.  Their music features wonderful, heady lyrics by Sean Watson, and I especially liked one song that said, "I hope you find someone more like you."  This band has a very cerebral sound which provided a more mellow interlude between all the energy of the afternoon.  They deserve a slot and venue more suited to their vibe.

Luke Bulla

Sean Watkins

Glen Phillips

Maura Shawn Scanlin

The Wilders

This Kansas City band helped ramp up the tone of the afternoon in preparation for the appearance of the Avett Brothers.  They held their own for their Cabin Stage appearance.

Betse Ellis and Nate Gawron

Phil Wade and Ike Sheldon

The Avett Brothers

The crowd for the Avett Brothers built all afternoon.  As their performance approached, the aisles became increasingly crowded and heavy security was brought in to keep aisles open (a failure) and space in front of the stage clear (a success).  The fans were noise and friendly, ready to make a party yet never particularly obnoxious. I suspect the strong efforts at the gate to exclude alcohol helped a great deal with keeping this crowd orderly.  The Avetts hit the stage with energy, volume, as well as greater depth and maturity than we had seen last time we saw them perform.  The crowd knew their songs and enthusiastically greeted each one, singing along with them.  Despite the dense crowd, there were relatively few people at the photo stand, and leaving down the packed aisle did not create a difficulty.  We left early to avoid the crowds.

Scott Avett

Seth Avett

Bob Crawford

Jacob Edwards

Joe Kwan



Joe Kwan and Bob Caldwell

Scott and Seth Avett

The Dine - n -  Dash

We'd expecially like to thank Bobbie and Ken Glass of the Dine - n - Dash on Collegiate Drive, the street leading up to the main Merlefest gate for their continued hospitality over the years.  Each morning we stop there for breakfast and a strong Internet signal that allows me to post this blog.  Their food and coffee are excellent, and their friendship deeply appreciated.

I'll be posting an overall assessment of Merlefest in the next couple of days and will look forward to your thoughts and comments.  Also, I want to thank the people who have become my editorial board.  They're the ones who make sure that errors in fact I make get corrected.  Errors in judgment remain my own.  Also, I should take a little time to recognize the important role Irene takes in this effort, as an editor, an adviser, and contributing photographer.  Errors I make are against her better judgment.

7 comments:

  1. Ted,
    I love your blog. Your pictures and commentaries are spot on. This was my 21st Merlefest and I enjoyed every minute. The weather was, as you point out, perfect for a festival. I especially love the fact that we always come home having "discovered" some new artists that we might never have encountered if it hadn't been for this great festival. Thanks for sharing your insights, summaries, and fabulous images.

    Bob Mead
    http://robertmead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted-
    Love the blog and photos, thanks for sharing! I was introduced to the Avetts through Merlefest 6 or 7 years ago- Do you really think they are trying to change the demographics of the festival, or are we all just growing up? Oh, and as a side note, the Avett shows I have been to have all been very passionate, but kind and mellow- with a huge sense of community, even when there aren't stringent 'no alcohol' policies. Its a pretty calm following. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your the most frequent commenter on my blog. May I call you "Anon?" Yes, I'm convinced Merlefest is seeking a younger audience than the originals have become, at the very least. Aging hippies ain't gonna keep it going, but, if you'll wait for my assessment coming later in the week, you'll see that I believe it's mostly a good thing. The big questions lie around taste and balance. I'll have more to say later. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted,

    It was a pleasure to meet you on Sunday morning at the Dine-N-Dash. I'm looking forward to reading more of what you have to say about the direction Merlefest has been taking. I'm especially eager to hear what you think about the Midnight Jam. I enjoyed parts of it a lot, but I was hoping for a lot more jamming!

    Take care,
    Dominic (a humble English professor and, sadly, not an employee of Sugar Hill records. Maybe I'll meet my doppleganger if I keep attending bluegrass festivals!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob - The new artist is one of my greatest values at Merlefest, but then, I discovered Americana and bluegrass there.

    Dominic - I glad I mis-recognized you. Thanks for your comment and keep in touch. - Ted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Ted As usual the blog keeps alot of us well informed about events we may never get to. The writing is great and the photos top-notch. I especially like what you write about my favorite band, The Gibson Brothers. And I agree that this may be the year they finally get the accolades that are truly deserved. See you at Jenny Brook and Safe traveling on your way back north.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was told the drummer was Jacob Edwards.

    ReplyDelete